Welcome to the The Naked Fanatics.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trust me.
    Blog Entries

How To Install Your ACRE Addon

How do I install my ACRE addon? This is probably the most-heard question of the past few weeks. This thread aims to answer that question once and for all.

What is ACRE?

ACRE is an addon for ArmA2 and plugin for Teamspeak 3 that simulates realistic radio communication within the game. The problem of using just Teamspeak is that it doesn't matter whether you are close to someone or on the other side of the map; you will be able to hear that person as if you were standing right in front of him. ACRE makes communication a lot more realistic and interesting by using radios.

For instance, you will be able to hear eachother perfectly fine when you're standing hand in hand, but as the other is walking away he will become increasingly inaudible. Then you can start using your radio to talk to eachother.

However, using the radios has its limitations. ACRE not only simulates the beeps you hear when pressing the talk button, it also simulates noise and static. If two people are two miles away from eachother, you will hear noise and may not be able to hear the other person so well. It's not just distance that affects radio signals though; the environment also has a part to play. For example, if there are mountains between you and the person you are trying to communicate with, you may not be able to hear eachother at all!

The 148s maximum range is 3 miles (approx. 5 KM). For the longer ranges, there are two more radios you can use for long distance calls. The 119 will send to about 5KM when used by infantry, but its PA (Power Amplified) function will increase this range. The 117F can effectively communicate up to 30-40 miles. There is also a Personal Range Radio (PRR) called the 343, which is the infantryman's standard radio. This PRR is effective up to 700M.

Watch this video for a basic demonstration of ACRE!

ACRE Development

ACRE is still under development, and updates are periodically released. Any update from now on will be clearly communicated on the forum by means of forum posts and PMs to get everyone updated ASAP.

ArmA2 Overview

Installing the addon is not all that difficult, but because of some variables it can appear unclear to some people.

At the moment, there are three main versions of ArmA:

-ArmA2
    -ArmA2:OA (Operation Arrowhead standalone)
    -ArmA2:CO (Combined Operations)

ArmA2 is the base game. You cannot play with us by just using ArmA2; all our missons require OA/CO. In fact, you cannot even join our server without having at least OA, preferrably CO.

ArmA2:OA is the standalone expansion to ArmA2. This means that you do not need ArmA2 to play OA.

ArmA2:CO is ArmA2 and ArmA2:OA combined into one game: Combined Operations.

Depending on your game version, your target line (or -mod= line) will look differently.

Note: if you installed OA into the same directory as ArmA2, or vice versa (ArmA2 installed into OA directory), you just made Combined Operations!

Installing the Addon

You need three (3) things for ACRE:

-Teamspeak 3 : You need the most recent version. At this moment, that would be 3.0.0- BETA36.
    -CBA : Community Base Addons.
    -ACRE : The most recent version is 1.1.1.244. Usually, this page will contain two files: the .EXE for automatic installation and a .RAR for manual installation.

Step 1: Install Teamspeak 3

Step 2: Extract the CBA folder into the correct ArmA2 / ArmA2:OA / ArmA2:CO directory.

Step 3: Close Teamspeak 3.

Step 4: Install ACRE into the correct ArmA directory.

If the .EXE installer is not available, or if you prefer to install the Addon manually, you will have downloaded the .RAR file from the ACRE website instead. In that case, you have to do the following:

-When you unzip the .RAR file, you will find two folders: TS3 Plugin and ArmA2.

-Extract the files names 'acre.dll'/'acre_64.dll' from the TS3 Plugin folder into Program Files\Teamspeak 3 Client\Plugins folder. (acre.dll is for 32 bit systems, acre_64.dll is for 64 bit systems)

-Extract the files in the ArmA2 folder into your ArmA2:OA/ArmA2:CO main game directory. When prompted, overwrite older files.

Step 5: Start up Teamspeak 3 and go to Settings -> Plugins. Activate the ACRE Plugin. You may get an error, but you can safely ignore this.

Step 6: Close down Teamspeak 3 and start it up again. Go back to Settings -> Plugin and make sure that the ACRE Plugin is still active.

Step 7: Go to your ArmA2 directory and make sure it contains the file 'dsound.dll'. This file is about 40Kb. It should normally install just fine.

Congratulations! You have just installed ACRE.

Starting Up

Start up Teamspeak 3. Make sure you run it as administrator! (you should know how to do this as ArmA2 requires this too) Connect to the =NF= Teamspeak 3 server (or any TS3 server). Login details can be found here.

Important! : Make sure you set a Push to Talk button in Teamspeak. Turn Voice Activation OFF! Voice Activation causes problems for some people and might result in ACRE not working! (make sure your push to talk button is NOT CAPSLOCK)
    Important!: Start up Teamspeak 3 as administrator! (In Windows 7 and Vista, this is done by right-clicking the TS3 icon and choosing 'run as administrator'. You can also choose 'properties', go to the 'Compatibility' tab, and tick the box 'run as administrator'.)

You have ArmA2:
    -Create a new shortcut to arma2.exe on your desktop.
    -Right-click the shortcut and choose 'properties'.
    -Edit the target line to contain the following:

"C:\PATH_TO_ARMA2\ArmA2.exe" -mod=@CBA;@CBA_A2;@JayArma2Lib;@acre + any other addons you want to load

You have ArmA2:OA standalone (this means NO Combined Operations!)
    -Create a new shortcut to arma2oa.exe on your desktop.
    -Richt-click the shortcut and choose 'properties'.

"C:\PATH_TO_ARMA2OA\ArmAOA2.exe" -mod=@CBA;@CBA_OA;@JayArma2Lib;@acre + any other addons you want to load

You have ArmA2: CO (arma2.exe and arma2oa.exe are in the same directory)
    -Create a new shortcut to arma2oa.exe on your desktop.
    -Richt-click the shortcut and choose 'properties'.

"C:\PATH_TO_ARMA2OA\ArmAOA2.exe" -mod=@CBA;@JayArma2Lib;@acre + any other addons you want to load

Important!
    Since Operation Arrowhead, it is possible to load addons in the game menu:
    Main Menu -> Expansions
    Do NOT do this! This appears to break the @jayarma2lib addon and will cause ACRE to stop working! Just sayin'

Testing and Settings

You can test ACRE by yourself by going in game (for example by setting up your own multiplayer game or start a singleplayer mission, or even connect to the =NF= Server and try with us!) As soon as you get in the game, press your CAPS LOCK key. You should hear a beep now. When you release the CAPSLOCK key, you should hear another beep.

If you hear these beeps, that means you have succeeded at getting ACRE working. Congratulations!

A final note: ArmA2 also has its own way to communicate in game, called VON (Voice Over Network). You may want to change the keys for this as you will be using your CAPSLOCK to talk through Teamspeak 3.

-Options -> Audio Options -> VON -> Turn down the slider (ONLY if you want to fully disable VON. I don't recommend this as you may want to use it on non-ACRE missions)
    -Edit the following key settings in the Options -> Controls menu:
    *Voice Over Network: 2x CAPSLOCK (change it into another key or remove altogether!)
    *Push To Talk: CAPSLOCK (Change it into another key!

(Note: these screens are based on deleting and disabling all in-game VON. However, on our server we do maintain a VON-readiness in case ACRE bugs out, we have a non-ACRE mission or there are too many people online without ACRE (for example random joiners).Instead, change the keys into something else so we don't hear you double. Basically, make your in-game VON keys ANYTHING BUT CAPSLOCK AND YOUR TEAMSPEAK 3 PUSH TO TALK BUTTON!)

Troubleshooting

You ACRE is not working? Do not despair, there are quite a few solutions to problems encountered previously, and maybe your solution is just waiting to be used! You can try any of these things:

-Did you define a Push to Talk button in Teamspeak 3? Voice Activaction does not always go well with ACRE.

-Is a virus scanner or firewall running? Try disabling these for a minute.

-Did you start Teamspeak 3 and ArmA2 as administrator?

-Is the ACRE plugin activated?

-When you start up ArmA2/ArmA2:OA/ArmA2:CO, you will see which addons were activated in the top-right corner of your screen in the main menu. Are CBA, Jayarma2lib and ACRE in the list? If you have OA standalone, this list should also include CBA_OA. If you have ArmA2 standalone, it should contain CBA_A2. (this information could be outdated due to new developments with CBA)

If you are still not having any luck, try visiting the ACRE Troubleshooting Page.

FAQ

-Do we have to use ACRE?
    For the Friday and Sunday games, yes it is highly recommended you use ACRE. Not only will this increase your immersion, it will also make it easier for all of us to communicate with eachother. Some missions require ACRE by their very concept. If your ACRE does not work or is not installed, you can hear everyone in the TS3 channel and everyone can hear you. While this means you have communication with everyone, it also means you can be disruptive to gameplay of others. If you really want to join in and have no time left to troubleshoot ACRE, it is best to go into a grunt position and use the ingame directional VON to communicate with others while you can listen to them in TS3. Do NOT use TS3 yourself as you will disrupt other people's comms.

-How do I use my radio?
    You speak into your radio by pressing your CAPSLOACK key. Press it, say what you need to say, and release the key.
    It is possible to take multiple radios with you. You can pull up an overview of the radios you are carrying by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + V. You can also use this overview to make certain radios active. The radio displayed in RED is your active radio.
    You can pull up your radio interface by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + X.
    You can switch between radios by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + C.

You can find more information about how to use radios on the Radio Manual page on the ACRE website. Alternatively, you can view this video made by UnitedOperations.net that explains the working of each radio in detail.

-How do I communicate with someone who is really far away?
    For this, you will need either the PRC119 or the PRC117F (less likely as these are usually only issued to JTAC units). On the PRC119, change to it by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + C, or make it active by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + V, clicking the radio and then clicking the Make Active button. CHange the PWR (power) mode to HI (high) or, if you are in a vehicle, to PA (Power Amplified). This will make the signal much stronger.

-I already bound by CAPSLOCK key to my Teamspeak 3 push to talk button. Is it possible to set another key for my ACRE radio?
    Go to your ArmA2 directory and open the file userconfig\acre\acre_keys.hpp

Change the key found under 'class PTTRadio { key = 58 ... }'

58 is the CAPSLOCK key. If you scroll all the way down in the acre_keys.hpp file, you will see a list of all keys and their codes.

------

Huge thanks to Tangodown.nl for providing the source text!

I hope this is helpful to you guys, and I certainly hope this will decrease the amount of 'errr... I think my ACRE doesn't work. Did I screw up?'-moments. :P

Nigerian Spambot

Re: How To Install Your ACRE Addon

Excellent, and well written. Installing Acre shouldnt be a bother now.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. -Yuval Diskin

Trust me.
    Blog Entries

Thanks, but the original text was on the Tangodown.nl forums. I just translated it

Trust me.
    Blog Entries

I say again: check out the tutorial vids posted throughout (mostly at the end) of the first post. There is no excuse for not being able to do basic radio operation with the 343, at the very least.

Thanks! Realley helpfull!

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Pedantic Grammar Nazi

Seeing as I now have to reinstall every-fucking-thing, is the hotfix.exe thing enough to install the whoole thing or is it just the hotfix and nothing else?

Grammatik Macht Frei
    Steam name: komodojou
    Certified Traffic Cone.

Bald Eagles
    Blog Entries

No idea about that, but it has got hotfix in its name so probably not.
    Team AgentOrange
    http://www.xfire.com/communities/teamao/
    Home of the True L33T

"Nej man ska inte vara blödig inte, kärringar över 40 dom ska man bara bunta ihop och slå ihjäl bara
    och göra tvål av dom, ock skicka dom till dom där skitiga lappjävlarna"

Trust me.
    Blog Entries

I don't know to be honest... Better follow latest links and use hotfix after that.

Bald Eagles
    Blog Entries

Von, when will you change that avatar? Seeing Santa in february fucks with my OCD brain
    Team AgentOrange
    http://www.xfire.com/communities/teamao/
    Home of the True L33T

"Nej man ska inte vara blödig inte, kärringar över 40 dom ska man bara bunta ihop och slå ihjäl bara
    och göra tvål av dom, ock skicka dom till dom där skitiga lappjävlarna"

Pedantic Grammar Nazi

Strangely enough it's the only file available on dev-heaven.

Vonnie, what links would those be?

Grammatik Macht Frei
    Steam name: komodojou
    Certified Traffic Cone.